Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The World According to Hey-Soos

One of my favorite things about Deadline was the interplay between main character Ben and a figure he starts meeting in his dreams around the time that he is diagnosed: Hey-Soos.  When he tells his therapist Marla about Hey-Soos, she has this to say:  "You're aware that H-e-y-s-o-o-s in Spanish is spelled J-e-s-u-s."  To which Ben replies, "I am aware of that, but I'm pretty sure he spells it this way.  I mean, he didn't say that, but in the dream, I know it." 
Ben's response to what Hey-Soos looks like?  "Like he should be pronouncing his name the other way.  You know, sandals, bathrobe, got that hippie thing going.  Dark, could be Mid-Eastern or Latino.  Definitely a guy who gets harassed by Homeland Security."
And whoever Hey-Soos is, he's got some solid wisdom to impart to Ben.  You'll have to read the book yourself to get the specifics, but my man Chris Crutcher is a pretty amazing guy to have created this character who helps Ben slowly get his act together.

No comments:

Post a Comment